Welcome to Libraries Week 2017. A celebration of how fantastic and vibrant libraries can be. This is not to ignore the continuing crisis in libraries but for this one week let’s celebrate how awesome libraries and especially library staff are.
All the following information can be found on Cilip’s Libraries Week site:
Did you know..?
- 250 million visits were made to public libraries in Great Britain last year – that’s more than cinema and theatre visits, visits to the UK’s top ten tourist attractions and the number of people that went to live music gigs COMBINED
- Over 1.6 million visits were made to the Library of Birmingham last year, making it the UK’s busiest library
- Young people are the group most likely to use public libraries. 15-25 year olds are more likely to use libraries than over 55s across the British Isles.
- Three out of every four people in the UK and Ireland say that libraries are important or essential to their community.
51% of us have a current library card and 47% have used a public library in the last twelve months. (Backed up by Carnegie UK Trust data)
- There was a 330% increase in coding clubs Mar-Dec 2016